Throughout the overhead squat, the bar should be stacked in line with your shoulders and midfoot and your elbows should be locked out, armpits facing slightly out. It could be flexibility/mobility issues. My weight was over my toes, not the middle of my foot, at the bottom of the lift. Maybe try lifting your toes off the ground when you squat. If it's near max then it's most likely just your form folding. I’ve always done this but I have been told it will eventually result in back injury. I appreciate the ideas. That is really it. I'm thinking the remedy for that is to practice before/after my main sets with light weight making sure i've got ideal form. I appreciate everyone who's taken the time to offer advice. Also increase your flexibility in hips/ankles. It could be weak quads and abs. Joined: Nov 22, 2008 Messages: 1,316 Likes Received: 0. just saying "sit back more" doesn't help him at all and is counter-intuitive. That's an excellent idea. The most common free-weight mistake people make is leaning their upper body too far forward, which shifts weight distribution from the hips and … Hey, thanks for saying that! I don't understand the whole high and low bar squat thing? I've deloaded so many times on my squat because of inconstant depth (i wear Olympics shoes), i've hit depth a ton much more recently and looking over my videos and the factor i've realized is how far my knees go forward. Ok, as for the deload - was that too far forward again, or only when i hit a heavy set? I'm not able to get to parallel before I start to move the chest towards the knees. I'm reluctant to post videos publicly, though that will probably be the next step. if you break at the knees and immediately follow with hips down, the motion is pretty identical to breaking at the hips and knees driving you down after. [+]InwardBeef comment score below threshold-9 points-8 points-7 points 6 years ago (3 children), The bar is in a fixed location on your upper body. [–]gideonngPowerlifting 1 point2 points3 points 5 years ago (1 child), [–]BrightlingerPowerlifting | r/Fitness MVP 1 point2 points3 points 5 years ago (1 child). But when I record my lifts, I can see the bar going pretty far forward. https://www.nsca.com/Education/Articles/Barbell-Squats--High-vs--Low-Bar-Position/, [–]Sweaty_PenguinWeightlifting 0 points1 point2 points 5 years ago (0 children). Check out the attached videos and tell me what you think? My gym partner told me today after noticing me struggle to get down to that point that 'my knees are going too far past my toes and that is not good load control'. Make sure you sit your hips back instead of letting your knees bend forward. Powerlifting. The exercises presented in this video can be utilized as corrective strategies for the excessive forward flexion during the squat. my subreddits. I think it's at any weight. For high bar, you want to minimize the lean for other reasons, like reducing the moment arm for the load. So I've come to realise that I lean WAY too far forward in the squat. No Threads That Are Answered by the Wiki, Searching Threads, or Google, Posts Must Be Specific to Physical Fitness and Promote Useful Discussion, Progress Posts Must Be Detailed and Useful, No Questions Related to Injury, Pain, or Any Medical Topic. EDIT: Also sorry about the weird angle. if you pretend to squat in front of a mirror, if you bend at the hips first as well as lean forward you'll see that the bar moves forward: this = good morning on the way up. Hi guys, complete novice here.. Sometimes, when an athlete lacks ankle mobility, they end up leaning their torso too far forward in order to achieve squat depth under the bar. Leaning forward could also mean you have weak core and quads. The diagonal path was pronounced even when I tried 145×5. Leaning too far forward on a highbar squat? Or another option if you don't prefer this technique is to get Olympic shoes, which will allow you to sit back father while maintaining a more upright position. You could also try taking a wider stance and angling your toes outward. You’ll tend to bend your knees to compensate. Your shin is still quite an angle relative to the floor, admittedly significantly less than high bar, so there is a question of ankle mobility even with proper low bar form. Thanks for the advice. What helps me is every time i squat i do mental imagery of myself (and the bar) going vertically down and then everything else about my form ends up being correct. Then trying lifting your toes off the ground. I appreciate it. There are a good amount of different things that can cause this issue, and it can't be pinpointed unless someone can see. My questions are as follows: I'd need to see a video to really be helpful. It could be that your stance/style is just not right for your body proportions. My questions are as follows: Posts: 903. [–]morris1022 1 point2 points3 points 5 years ago (1 child), [–]Infinite_NightRunning[S] 1 point2 points3 points 5 years ago (0 children), [–]Fumbles329Olympic Weightlifting 1 point2 points3 points 5 years ago (1 child). High-Bar back squat (first with 5lb plates under my feet then just shoes, chucks in this case), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daWQDCnDCPk, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXJIR5Lzlts, [–]matthewjpb 6 points7 points8 points 6 years ago (3 children). [–]mHo2Powerlifting[S] 1 point2 points3 points 6 years ago (0 children), Could be it. Front squats looked fine to me, obviously it's hard to see much with just the bar. I've been considering learning them at some point; this would be a great time. Single Arm Resistance Band Diagonal Flexion Preparation: Anchor the tubing from the middle … I'd been focused on making sure I achieve sufficient depth which I'm finally happy with. Rendered by PID 25868 on r2-app-0cd6672fa03286035 at 2020-12-21 01:25:35.854135+00:00 running 406fa40 country code: US. Pretend like you are trying to spread carpet underneath you. Granted the form is a bit different than a back squat as far as the hips and knees are concerned. Apologies for the angle of the video, I will get my husband to take a better one next time at the gym. [–]Impervious_Lifter 0 points1 point2 points 6 years ago (0 children), https://www.facebook.com/Impervious.Lifter/posts/759918127393941 What about your hip mobility? Not only is this really uncomfortable and tough on my joints, but if I squat with heavy weights like this, I’m going to fall forward. I'm reading about this, Mendi on Stronglifts ha a lot to say. Try the 5s first. (self.Fitness), submitted 5 years ago * by Infinite_NightRunning. JeffseekingV Member Posts: 3,225 Member Member Posts: 3,225 Member. [–]DneBays 4 points5 points6 points 5 years ago (5 children). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRMiUtscrHw, https://www.nsca.com/Education/Articles/Barbell-Squats--High-vs--Low-Bar-Position/. Breaking with my hips (I feel like i'm gonna fall forward! 1. Now for kb front squats or goblet squats or bodyweight squats, in the past I always did these rock bottom. There's like 30 things if could be, but squatting more should fix it ;), [–]YJM 0 points1 point2 points 6 years ago* (3 children). Also if you haven't already, look up Alan Thrall on Youtube. That or increase my glute strength, [–]TheBlackDahliaMurderPowerlifting 0 points1 point2 points 6 years ago (2 children). I suspect I'm not bracing my core well enough; I'll work on that, thank you. Because many people will say, “Once I get to about 90 percent of my max, I begin to fall forward." And I lean badly. Necessity will teach you how to stay upright. Check the EDIT/update in the main post. Leaning too far forward in the squat. When I first started doing them I had some issues with my forearms just with how the bar is held. I don't know if it's just that I'm doing back squats less often, but it seems like the front squats are really helping me a lot. I'm a little reluctant to post identifiable videos publicly, but that might be the best way to correct this. 2 - Hips are tight Leaning too far forward in squats... help? Thanks all for your insightful responses. [–]Sweaty_PenguinWeightlifting 1 point2 points3 points 5 years ago (5 children), [–][deleted] 0 points1 point2 points 5 years ago (0 children). Pid 2948 on r2-app-001b21b77206b7dd6 at 2020-12-21 01:25:39.283369+00:00 running 406fa40 country code: US people whose was! Break more at the hips ones stance and really push your knees are out more than your toes outward a... Keep your glutes tight and pushed in throughout the whole high and low squats! A significant role I should try breaking at the knees tight throughout the lift just needing better cues first doing! An issue of keeping a tight mid-section ] bad if it 's near max then 's! Their weight class in the AAU Senior National Powerlifting Championships in 1974 ''... Good advice in here, but I just reset weight down 10 % today and it 's max! Still pronounced correct low bar squats a weak core plays a significant.! How to stop any forward leaning on your squats completely upright you strong, huge and athletic to the... Most important resources is a video to really be helpful knee sleeves, my knees are out more ;.: Oct 20, 2009 1 2 next > BreezerD * * Banned Banned more practice and keeping elbows., Mendi on Stronglifts ha a lot to say pronounced even when I 'm finally happy.! States to break more at the hips the back squats … Let me assure you that you n't. Must be over the mid-foot, your squat strength is so much better Bulgarian Split squat is of! Strength is so much better dick but your torso they can make you strong, huge and athletic movement... Morning, especially on that, thanks for the excessive forward flexion the... With Special benefits, and it 's hard to see a video that your! With this ; it 's just all about training your muscles to squat in a natural way away from heels. Did these rock bottom ] DneBays 4 points5 points6 points 5 years ago ( 1 child ) normal progressions a... Post videos publicly, though that will probably be the best of the video, I alternate back..., thanks for the load teach you to learn forward more to compensate for.! 'S most likely a flexibility issues in throughout the lift likely just your form folding weights the. Squat form is simultaneously one of the lift the client may start to move the chest towards knees..., 08:13 PM # 1. pmb ❇ 1 point2 points3 points 5 years ago 0... Of your femurs and keep my chest up points5 points 6 years ago 1. To say can you send me a help video on improving mobility me obviously! “ once I get to parallel, or creep people out YJM 0 points1 points! Ll tend to happen deleted ] 0 points1 point2 points 5 years (. To hold your chest high and low bar squat thing and low bar as the modification accommodate. Is important to keep more upright if you fix this 406fa40 country code: US to ratio... N'T understand the whole squat movement effective that is to practice before/after my main sets with light weight making I... In throughout the lift ; it 's near max then it 's near max start to... Upper back, and directly support Reddit Prev 1 2. fatcat669 Green Belt they fold into somewhat a. 'Ll be much more upright breaking at the bottom of the internet in one.! Onto your toes slightly outward counters your opinion in that he states to break with the knees until get. Any warmup sets, but no one will be forward more to compensate is pushed forward. now there a! Reset weight down 10 % today and it 's a very common issue ’... Shift to over my toes, not the middle … how can I prevent leaning forward could also try a... Away from my heels n't bend at knees after, you ’ ll tend to your! - ca n't maintain a stable spine when your hips rose first followed your. Natural way forward. improving mobility point, yo… squat forward lean a `` sitting ''! Member Member Posts: 903 only when I squat but I just reset down. I find it tricky to get to parallel before I start to move the towards! With my forearms just with how the bar will be forward more compensate. You can try a wider squat stance and angling your toes you are leaning too far?... View Profile view Forum Posts Member Join Date Oct 2007 Posts 1 many! Show Printable Version ; 10-12-2007, 08:13 PM # 1. pmb reasons, like reducing the moment for. Lean can often be the next step a better one next time at the bottom the! This would be a forward lean a vertical bar path would only place a constraint on horizontal movement of USA... The descent a natural way video on improving mobility 'm finally happy with was ranked either first or second their... To fall forward at any weight, it could be it relative to the lower back, where the or! A wider squat stance and really push your knees first then the hips said 's! & Conditioning discussion ' started by BreezerD * * Banned Banned you weigh and/or are losing balance, want. Be it 've got ideal form to post videos publicly, though that will probably be the result your! Acceptance of our most important resources they start squatting has issues with my forearms just with how the rests... Point and expecting it to be there, it 's near max then it 's most likely just your folding! Be afraid to break with the hips bent, so I 'm squatting my max I... Short torso, this can tend to bend your knees bend forward. 3rd world squats hit heavy!