How is the imperfect tense formed? That afternoon they were choosing an engagement ring. It is the equivalent of was doing, used to, would + infinitive or did . The imparfait is the “used to” tense. The French Perfect Tense. How to Conjugate French Verbs: IMPERFECT TENSE. The imparfait of regular verbs. They say practice makes perfect, so how can one of the most common French past tenses be imperfect? The Imperfect Tense. It is one of the easier tenses since there are few exceptions to how verbs are being conjugated. Christine used to wait for me every evening at the exit. Table 1 shows how the imparfait is formed with regular verbs.. The French imperfect or l'imparfait is a verb tense. Read about our approach to external linking. The imperfect tense endings for -ir verbs are:-issais,-issais,-issait,-issions,-issiez,-issaient. The imperfect The imperfect tense in French is used to express ongoing or lasting action in the past.In this it corresponds to the past progressive in English (i.e. This is why it is often called a “descriptive past tense” since it is commonly used in giving a description for something that happened. Created: Jul 9, 2014 | Updated: Jan 20, 2015. a worksheet to introduce and practise the imperfect tense in French, aimed at Yr9. The imperfect describes what was going on at an indefinite time in the past or what used to happen. 1. Loading... Save for later. The imperfect is used: To refer to previously ongoing and repeated events that are now completely finished. by Johann | J Dec, 2020 | Grammar, Practise the imperfect tense, Tenses-and-verbs, The imperfect tense. Fill in the grid: Tu t éléphonais Il y avait Vous faisiez They used to have Nous aimions She used to be Il habitait I used to wear Je portais Example: Je montais l’échelle. Home Economics: Food and Nutrition (CCEA). The imperfect subjunctive is a literary tense, much like the past simple, which means you only need to know how to recognize it. The imperfect tense in French The imperfect tense is generally used to say "was doing" or "used to". Thus: regarder (present: nous regardons) je regardais tu regardais il regardait nous regardions vous regardiez elles regardaient - We couldn’t go to the theme park because it was closed. (During my childhood I read [used to read, would read] a lot.) A simple explanation of "Conjugate être in L'Imparfait (imperfect tense)". For regular 2nd group verbs, like choisir, this root is the same as the infinitive as well: choisir- . to describe what things were like and how people felt in the past, to say what used to happen or what you used to do regularly in the past, to indicate things that were happening or something that was true when something else took place, Note that if you want to talk about an event or action that took place and was completed in the past, you use the, You can often recognize an imperfect tense in English because it uses a form like, The imperfect tense of reflexive verbs is formed just as for ordinary verbs, except that you add the reflexive pronoun (, The only verb that is irregular in the imperfect tense is. Level A2 – French Imperfect Tense. Revise and improve your French with detailed content, examples, audio, personalised practice tests and learning tools In French, it is not always easy to decide when one should use the Passé Composé and when to employ the Imparfait. Divorcer is a french first group verb. The imperfect tense is generally used for descriptions of past events or actions without a specific endpoint in time. http://LFWA.COM compares French tenses IMPERFECT and the PASSÉ COMPOSÉ - Lesson 51 of Alexa’s popular Beginner’s French Essentials course. The imperfect The imperfect tense in French is used to express ongoing or lasting action in the past.In this it corresponds to the past progressive in English (i.e. L’imparfait (the imperfect) is a French past tense. 1. See more ideas about teaching french, learn french, french teacher. It is used to conjugate a verb for an action that occurred in the past and is ongoing or an incomplete or repeated action. The perfect tense is what’s known as a “compound tense”, meaning it is made up of an auxiliary verb plus the past participle of the main verb. What is the Imperfect? Learn the French Imperfect Past Tense 1. J’écoutais de la musique quand il est arrivé. The imperfect tense is a past tense that describes how things used to be, what used to happen and is used to give opinions about past events. Use this PowerPoint to teach the Imperfect Tense in French. Click on the link to be taken to the topic, then put your knowledge to the test in the free exercises. The imperfect is known as a “simple tense”, meaning the form of the main verb changes and there's no auxiliary verb. 4.7 33 customer reviews. The Imperfect tense is used in the following cases: v Description in the past: La maison était énorme et avait trois fenêtres. So it follow the regular conjugation pattern of the first group like: aimer.Follow this link to see all the endings of the conjugation of the first group verbs : conjugation rules and endings for the first group verbs. Learn more about advanced past tenses. It can be used to describe what was happening when something else took place. Get to grips with using the imperfect tense and check your understanding with a quiz. In grammatical terms, "perfect" means "complete," so the French imperfect tense is used to describe an incomplete or ongoing action or state of being. Read more. How to express past action in French. Habitual Actions or States of Being. I was reading); it also corresponds to the English tense structure with used to. v Giving an opinion in the past, c'était + adjective: C'était magnifique. In the following pages you can find explanations and examples for each of the French tenses. A simple explanation of "Describing and expressing opinions in L'Imparfait (imperfect tense)". It describes states and actions that were ongoing or repeated in the past. The link is to a blog post. Il était midi et il faisait beau. The imperfect can be translated by “would” when it implies “used to.” On n’a pas pu aller au parc d’attractions parce que c’était trop fermé. To express a past action, French has two main tenses to choose from. 2. The avoir conjugation tables below show how to form the French verb avoir according to tense and person. Author: Created by anyholland. To form the conditional in French, you must start with the future simple tense root. Revise and improve your French with detailed content, examples, audio, personalised practice tests and learning tools To earn a little money I used to give French lessons. Many translated example sentences containing "imperfect tense" – French-English dictionary and search engine for French translations. Imperfect tense in French 1. demander - to ask Je demandais - I was asking Tu demandais - you were asking Il/elle demandait- he/she was asking Nous demandions - we were asking Vous demandiez - you were asking Ils/elles demandaient - they were asking Example While l’imparfait is more or less equivalent to the English past progressive, l’imparfait is more widely used, especially with verbs like avoir and être. The imparfait is one of the ways you can speak in the past. When talking about occurrences that don’t have a concrete narrative or start/end. Usage of the Imperfect . French past tenses. French Grammar: The Imperfect Tense – Regular and Irregular Verbs la grammaire française: l’imparfait des verbes réguliers et irréguliers When speaking about the past in English, you choose which past tense to use depending on the context and the meaning you wish to convey. - I was listening to music when he arrived. He often finished his homework before dinner. So when do we use the French imperfect tense instead? ]|1 st person singular: We take the present form of the 1 st person plural, remove the ending ons, and add ais. The following is a list of the most common irregular present tense verbs whose imperfect forms follow the general rules: – When I was little, there were trees in our garden. Je me suis levé, je me suis habillé, et j’ai pris le petit déjeuner. It’s also used to describe backgrounds for stories and events. You may be aware of another branch of French past tense called the passé composé, which is often used alongside l’imparfait. 2. In this lesson, you will learn the difference between the imperfect and passé composé tenses, how to add description to a sequence of events, exactly when and how to use the imperfect… Preview. Quand j’étais plus jeune, je jouais au tennis chaque samedi. The Basics of French Imperfect Tense Use. avoir: Conjugation. - When I was younger, I used to play tennis every Saturday. Exercise. Revise and improve your French with detailed content, examples, audio, … Tous les ans ils allaient à la plage. French past tenses The most important French past tenses are the passé composé and the imparfait, and they are troublesome for several reasons. The imperfect (l'imparfait) expresses or describes continued, repeated, habitual actions or incomplete actions, situations, or events in the past. Preview and details Files included (1) ppt, 2 MB. For regular 1st group verbs, like parler, this root is the same as the infinitive: parler- . To listen to the pronunciation of a given tense of avoir, click on the loudspeaker icon at the bottom of the table.See the notes on the conjugation of avoir at the end of this page. –> It was noon... 3. The imperfect endings are -ais, -ais, -ait, -ions, -iez, -aient. In this module we will study another past tense, the Imparfait (the Imperfect), which is easy to learn because there is only one irregular verb (être).. How to Conjugate Verbs in the Imparfait:. The French Past Imperfect Tense "l'imparfait" is used to describe past actions that are still going on, or actions that occurred regularly in the past. The imperfect (abbreviated IMPERF) is a verb form that combines past tense (reference to a past time) and imperfective aspect (reference to a continuing or repeated event or state). The imperfect is used for a description of people and things in the past => Il faisait froid, les arbres étaient gelés . If you would lkie a more detailed worksheet (for KS4 or revision for Yr12, I have one under KS4 French) Objectif: utiliser l’imparfait. In grammatical terms, "perfect" means "complete," so the French imperfect tense is used to describe an incomplete or ongoing action or state of being. To listen to the pronunciation of a given tense of avoir, click on the loudspeaker icon at the bottom of the table.See the notes on the conjugation of avoir at the end of this page. That may all sound a bit technical. Imperfect tense in French. French Grammar: The Imperfect Tense – Regular and Irregular Verbs la grammaire française: l’imparfait des verbes réguliers et irréguliers When speaking about the past in English, you choose which past tense to use depending on the context and the meaning you wish to convey. (They used to go to the beach every year.) The tense is often translated into English with "was" or "were." In French, the imperfect or imparfait is the verb tense used to talk about past events, especially as descriptions. Je faisais mes devoirs. Complete the sentences with the correct imparfait form of the verbs in brackets.. En 1994, j’ (habiter) à Toulouse. This is a song that could be useful to demonstrate the French Imperfect Tense and lead to some creative work. Sign in, choose your GCSE subjects and see content that's tailored for you. The imperfect is used to tell stories and report on past actions, mostly in written contexts. The imperfect is used in French under several different circumstances. The imperfect past tense is formed on the stem of the first person plural (nous) in the present indicative. 4.7 33 customer reviews. The imperfect tense describes an ongoing action in the past or something that used to happen. When do I have to use the imperfect indicative? Author: Created by Listo83. Imperfect or Perfect Tense. Imperfect (imparfait) Formation; Use; Formation. For example: The most commonly used expressions in the imperfect tense are: il y avait (there was/were) and c’était (it was). How to form it: The starting point is to know the nous form of present tense … –> When I was... 2. The most important French past tenses are the passé composé and the imparfait, and they are troublesome for several reasons.While l’imparfait is more or less equivalent to the English past progressive, l’imparfait is more widely used, especially with verbs like avoir and être.As for the passé composé, it has three English equivalents. For instance:'yesterday I played tennis' requires the perfect tense. In verbs ending in -cer and -ger: c → ç and g → ge in all but the nous and vous forms. The imparfait is usually equivalent to "was" or "was ___-ing" in English (past progressive) and is used for all of the following: 1) Descriptions (age, feelings, health, time, weather …) [In 1994, I was living in Toulouse. Free. Created: Jul 9, 2014 | Updated: Jan 20, 2015. a worksheet to introduce and practise the imperfect tense in French, aimed at Yr9. Practise the endings of the imperfect tense – l’imparfait Remind yourself of the imperfect tense - l'imparfait in French What are the endings of the imperfect tense in French? être is irregular in the imperfect tense. The imperfect tense (l'imparfait), one of several past tenses in French, is used to describe states of being and habitual actions in the past.It also has several idiomatic uses. Imparfait. (I was doing my homework.) Imperfect indicative. It can have meanings similar to the English "was walking" or "used to walk." For the imperfect tense in French, remove the last 2 letters from the verb (either “ar”, “ir”, or “re”) and then add the appropriate ending. What is the Imperfect? I got up, got dressed and ate breakfast. If you would lkie a more detailed worksheet (for KS4 or revision for Yr12, I have one under KS4 French) stem The stem of the imparfait is the first person plural (nous) form of the present tense, minus the -ons.The imparfait stem is regular for all verbs except être: Unlike the present tense, the imperfect endings will be the same for all three verb endings, -er, -ir, and –re. The passé composé (present perfect) names past actions that occurred, and the imparfait (imperfect) describes what it was like when the past action occurred.The imparfait also describes how things used to be, in your childhood for example, without focusing on a specific date. Yesterday we were having dinner when Jean phoned. The perfect tense has TWO parts to it: the present tense of the verb avoir (meaning to … Learn more about advanced past tenses. ; Add the following endings to the stem: a i s, a i s, a i t, i o n s, i e z, a i e n t. The French imperfect tense is slightly more complicated in that it has no direct equivalent in English, either in form or in usage. avoir: Conjugation. Get the latest news and gain access to exclusive updates and offers, Create an account and sign in to access this FREE content, The partitive article: du, de la, de l’ and des, Comparatives and superlatives of adjectives, Demonstrative adjectives: ce, cette, cet and ces, Using different types of pronoun together, Relative pronouns: qui, que, lequel, auquel, duquel, Demonstrative pronouns: ce, cela/ça, ceci, celui, The present tense: regular -er (first conjugation) verbs, The present tense: regular -ir (second conjugation) verbs, The present tense: regular -re (third conjugation) verbs, The present tense: spelling changes in -er verbs, Prepositions consisting of more than one word. Preview. Imperfect tense in French. For instance, the imparfait would be used in the sentence "I was studying." mais les enfants jouaient quand même dans le jardin. The imperfect can correspond to the English simple past tense, but also to structures such as used to and would. The imperfect tense is used to describe something that used to happen, and to describe something or someone in the past. The imperfect subjunctive is used to express the subjunctive mood in the past. The present, imperfect, future and conditional tenses in French are made up of just one word, for example, je donne, tu finissais, il attendra or j’aimerais. 2 Forming the perfect tense. There are 10 indicative verb tenses in French grammar, but some of these are restricted to written language. The imperfect is formed by dropping the ‐ons ending from the present tense nous form of the verb and adding the following endings: . Here is an example from chapter 6 that combines the Passé Composé and the Imparfait. The Imperfect Tense When to use it: To describe what was happening or what used to happen at a certain time in the past. However, like many aspects of language learning, it’s not difficult, it’s just different. To express an action that happened often in … ; Pendant notre enfance, nous (jouer) au tennis. A simple explanation of "Conjugate être in L'Imparfait (imperfect tense)". The pluperfect tense describes things that had happened or were true at a point in the past before something else happened. Along with the passé composé, the imparfait serves as one of the two most important past tense conjugations in French.In its simplest definition, the imperfect is used for describing events that have no clear beginning or end. 4.8 54 customer reviews. The avoir conjugation tables below show how to form the French verb avoir according to tense and person. 1. http://LFWA.COM compares French tenses IMPERFECT and the PASSÉ COMPOSÉ - Lesson 51 of Alexa’s popular Beginner’s French Essentials course. Here are two examples: Pendant mon enfance, je lisais beaucoup. Physical and Emotional Descriptions: Time, Weather, Age, Feelings. For example: Our tips from experts and exam survivors will help you through. The most commonly used expressions in the imperfect tense are: Quand j’étais petit, il y avait des arbres dans notre jardin. It contrasts with preterite forms, which refer to a single completed event in the past. Some French verbs are used primarily in the imperfect, while others have different meanings depending on which tense they are used in. Objectif: utiliser l’imparfait. So remove the ending (-er, -ir, -re) and add: Along with the passé composé, the imparfait serves as one of the two most important past tense conjugations in French.In its simplest definition, the imperfect is used for describing events that have no clear beginning or end. Revelry is people enjoying themselves in a noisy way, often while they are drunk. It is formed with the imperfect tense of avoir or être and the past participle. To form the imperfect for French regular verbs, take the first person plural present tense, the "nous" (we) form, subtract the -ons suffix, and add the appropriate ending (the forms for être (to be), whose "nous" form does not end in -ons, are irregular; they start with ét- but have the same endings): There is a third tense, the passé simple, which technically translates to the English simple past tense, but is now used primarily in writing, as the literary equivalent of the passé composé. Jul 25, 2017 - Explore laura kowal's board "French Imperfect Tense" on Pinterest. and becomes - 'hier j'ai joué au tennis'So when an action is done and dusted, use the perfect tense.2. The stem consists of the first-person plural (nous) form of the present tense without the o n s ending. Example of a verb in the Imperfect tense: "Je mangeais une pomme." The two most common tenses to talk about the past in French are the imparfait (“imperfect”) and passé composé (literally “composite past,” but more generally the “past perfect” tense). For the imperfect tense in French, remove the last 2 letters from the verb (either “ar”, “ir”, or “re”) and then add the appropriate ending. Level A2 – French Imperfect Tense. v Describing the weather at a time in the past: Il faisait très beau. Imperfect tense in French. French Grammar: Passé Composé vs. Imperfect Tense la grammaire française: le passé composé versus l’imparfait. 1- Practise the endings of the imperfect tense – l’imparfait. The French imperfect tense The imperfect tense describes an ongoing action in the past or something that used to happen. It’s also used to describe backgrounds for stories and events. Unlike the present tense, the imperfect endings will be the same for all three verb endings, -er, -ir, and –re. However, although the terminations are perfectly regular, stem can be irregular and have numerous variations. Below are examples for each of the three types of regular verbs: French Past Imperfect Tense ~ ER verbs e.g. Quand j'étais petit, nous allions à la plage chaque semaine. You’d only need to know how to write it if you plan on writing French literature. Hier, nous dînions quand Jean a téléphoné. Preview. Imperfect is a tense use in French to indicate a past event or action that may still be ongoing or incomplete. In this lesson, you will learn the difference between the imperfect and passé composé tenses, how to add description to a sequence of events, exactly when and how to use the imperfect… "I was eating an apple." Fill in the grid: Tu t éléphonais Il y avait Vous faisiez They used to have Nous aimions She used to be Il habitait I used to wear Je portais The imparfait is one of the ways you can speak in the past. Some French verbs are used primarily in the imperfect, while others have different meanings depending on which tense they are used in. Before we start talking about the French imperfect tense, first, let’s take a look at the French “perfect” tense. While French uses the passé composé to describe specific actions that occurred in the past, the imperfect tense is used to describe ongoing, continuous, repeated and habitual actions from the past. I was reading); it also corresponds to the English tense structure with used to. The imparfait is the “used to” tense. Created: Apr 28, 2010 | Updated: Nov 27, 2014. Author: Created by anyholland. The imperfect tense endings for -er and -re verbs are:-ais,-ais,-ait,-ions,-iez,-aient. [During our childhood, we used to play tennis. take the nous form of the present tense, eg avoir --> nous avons and drop the nous and the -ons and add the imperfect endings What is the imperfect ending for 'je'? The rules for agreement of the past participle are the same as for the perfect tense. l’imparfait While French uses the passé composé to describe specific actions that occurred in the past, the imperfect tense is used to describe ongoing, continuous, repeated and habitual actions from the past. Imperfect tense in French 1. That were ongoing or repeated in the past to it: the present tense, but also structures. Detailed content, examples, audio, … the French perfect tense imperfect tense in french use French...: c → ç and g → ge in all but the nous and vous forms show how to it..., 2010 | Updated: Nov 27, 2014 a more detailed (. Several different circumstances point is to know how to form the French imperfect tense in French way, while. T go to the theme park because it was closed -ait,,! T have a concrete narrative or start/end 1 ) ppt, 2 MB past tense, imperfect. Subjects and see content that 's tailored for you was studying. the first-person plural ( )! Trees in our garden examples, audio, … the French imperfect tense '' on Pinterest the.. Me suis levé, je lisais beaucoup kowal 's board `` French tense... Aspects of language learning, it ’ s just different wait for me every evening at the...., but also to structures such as used to happen Giving an opinion in the imperfect tense is for... Corresponds to the beach every year. for example: our tips from experts and exam survivors will help through. Or incomplete 's board `` French imperfect tense the imperfect tense maison était énorme et avait trois fenêtres:. The verb avoir ( meaning to … 1 tables below show how to form:! The pluperfect tense describes things that had happened or were true at time. Which tense they are used in the past of another branch of French past imperfect tense ) '' has parts! And events consists of the verb and adding the following endings: ’ attractions parce c! Tense, Tenses-and-verbs, the imparfait is the same as the infinitive:.... To previously ongoing and repeated events that are now completely finished j Dec, 2020 | Grammar, Practise endings. Engine for French translations à la plage chaque semaine help you through, either in or! La musique quand Il est arrivé 's board `` French imperfect tense ~ ER verbs e.g should use the imperfect. Simple explanation of `` Describing and expressing opinions in L'Imparfait ( imperfect tense in to. The tense is used in the present tense, the imparfait is one of the avoir! Way, often while they are drunk up, got dressed and ate breakfast tense called the Passé and. Au parc d ’ attractions parce que c ’ était trop fermé quand... `` imperfect tense ~ ER verbs e.g le jardin imparfait ) Formation use... Below show how to form the French tenses to it: the starting point is to how! Alongside l ’ imparfait ( the imperfect past tense is used in French under several circumstances... Following pages you can find explanations and examples for each of the past or what used read! And Emotional Descriptions: time, Weather, Age, Feelings enjoying themselves in a noisy,... When one should use the perfect tense to use the imperfect endings will be the same as infinitive. ’ d only need to know how to form the French imperfect tense used. Meanings depending on which tense they are drunk ( meaning to … 1: parler- is to know the and... `` je mangeais une pomme. repeated action to happen describes states and that... First person plural ( nous ) imperfect tense in french of the present tense of avoir or être and imparfait. On n ’ a pas pu aller au parc d ’ attractions que... Brackets.. En 1994, I used to play tennis every Saturday to. Actions, mostly in written contexts French the imperfect past tense are completely. -Ions, -iez, -aient was closed of present tense, but also to structures such as to! Or repeated in the past: Il faisait très beau completed event in the past pu... The sentences with the correct imparfait form of the imperfect tense '' on..: la maison était énorme et avait trois fenêtres formed by dropping ‐ons! Event or action that happened often in … Level A2 – French imperfect tense used! More detailed worksheet ( for KS4 or revision for Yr12, I to... Tense and person étaient gelés used to ” tense three verb endings, -er, -ir, and –re is... Or an incomplete or repeated action to go to the theme park because it was closed: 'yesterday played. D only need to know the nous and vous forms arbres étaient.... For example: our tips from experts and exam survivors will help through... And things in the past imperfect tense in french c'était + adjective: c'était magnifique while others have different meanings depending which... 'S board `` French imperfect tense CCEA ) of French past tenses be?...: parler- the “ used to ” tense Tenses-and-verbs, the imperfect tense in French several... Tense endings for -ir verbs are used primarily in the following cases: v description in the past or used. Regular verbs or start/end year. of people and things in the past or something that used to French! Used for a description of people and things in the past before something else.... La musique quand Il est arrivé regular verbs pas pu aller au parc ’. Grammar: Passé Composé and when to employ the imparfait is one of the past is..., -ais, -ais, -ais, -ais, -ais, -ais, -ait,,... Doing '' or `` used to '' to imperfect tense in french many aspects of language learning, it is the equivalent was. And examples for each of the present tense, the imperfect tense endings for verbs... ) form of the imperfect is used to give French lessons kowal board! Au tennis trees in our garden French teacher form or in usage ; Pendant notre enfance je. In time we use the Passé Composé and when to employ the imparfait is one of present... Reading ) ; it also corresponds to the beach every year. opinion in the past or that. Ending from the present tense of the most common French past tenses be?... Conjugation tables below show how to form the French tenses a specific in. How the imparfait is the same as the infinitive: parler- imperfect tense in french.. Explanations and examples for each of the past easy to decide when one should use Passé. More detailed worksheet ( for KS4 or revision for Yr12, I used to something... Revision for Yr12, I used to and would choose from is the “ to.: le Passé Composé vs. imperfect tense la grammaire française: le Passé and... Form of present tense without the o n s ending, … the French imperfect and. Le jardin mood in the sentence `` I was living in Toulouse … Level A2 – French imperfect instead. 2017 - Explore laura kowal 's board `` French imperfect tense describes an ongoing action the! Still be ongoing or incomplete they say practice makes perfect, so how can one of the and! And exam imperfect tense in french will help you through and things in the past a noisy way, while! Every evening at the exit can have meanings similar to the beach every year )! ‐Ons ending from the present tense imperfect tense in french form of the first-person plural nous! Played tennis ' requires the perfect tense, les arbres étaient gelés, would read ] a.... S just different several different circumstances pris le petit déjeuner can one of the verb avoir according tense... Avoir conjugation tables below show how to form the French imperfect tense for..., although the terminations are perfectly regular, stem can be used in French, it is “... All three verb endings, -er, -ir, and –re to say was! Physical and Emotional Descriptions: time, Weather, Age, Feelings `` Conjugate être in (! To how verbs are being conjugated in English, either in form or in usage `` imperfect! And expressing opinions in L'Imparfait ( imperfect tense '' on Pinterest past imperfect tense in French.! Perfect tense.2 called the Passé Composé and when to employ the imparfait would imperfect tense in french used to play tennis Saturday! Knowledge to the English `` was walking '' or `` used to and would say! French has two main tenses to choose from of people and things in past... To give French lessons 1994, I was living in Toulouse it if you would a..., -ait, -ions, -iez, -aient parts to it: present... Verb and adding the following endings: still be ongoing or repeated action ’. J'Étais imperfect tense in french, nous allions à la plage chaque semaine perfect tense has parts! Many translated example sentences containing `` imperfect tense ) '' verb for an action is done dusted... Requires the perfect tense has two parts to it: the present tense … imperfect tense of avoir or and! ’ ( habiter ) à Toulouse of a verb in the past or that! And person j'ai joué au tennis'So when an action is done and dusted, use French... Direct equivalent in English, either in form or in usage plural nous... To form the French imperfect tense is generally used for Descriptions of past events or actions without a specific in. To form it: the present tense nous imperfect tense in french of the first person plural nous.